The right mattress can let you sleep like a baby. But trying to buy one can give you nightmares. "You go into one store and the mattress has one name and one color fabric, and then you go to another store and they say this one is the same as that one. But it doesn't have the same name and it doesn't have, you know, some of the same characteristics." Consumer Reports surveyed more than 12-thousand subscribers about their mattresses. It turns out innerspring mattresses did not rate as well as others. Celia Lehrman "We found that people who bought memory-foam mattresses or air beds actually said they slept better than people who bought the traditional innerspring mattresses." The survey also asked people about their shopping experience. Celia Lehrman "You hear the big retailers, and they'll say 'best mattresses, best price.' It sounds like a slogan, you think it's true, but that's really not what our survey found. The biggest stores didn't necessarily have the best selection or the best prices." For example, Sleepy's claims to be the "mattress professionals" but was among the lowest-rated retailers. Macy's and Sears rated better than Sleepy's, but their ratings were still mostly so-so. But some larger stores did very well in Consumer Reports' survey. Select Comfort, which sells adjustable-firmness mattresses, is one. But they're pricey. The median price for a queen is almost two-thousand dollars. But don't worry. Consumer Reports says you can get a decent mattress for much less at Costco and Ikea. While customer service was lacking at both
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.