The right mattress can let you sleep like a baby. But trying to buy one can give you nightmares. "You go into one store and the mattress has one name and one color fabric, and then you go to another store and they say this one is the same as that one. But it doesn't have the same name and it doesn't have, you know, some of the same characteristics." Consumer Reports surveyed more than 12-thousand subscribers about their mattresses. It turns out innerspring mattresses did not rate as well as others. Celia Lehrman "We found that people who bought memory-foam mattresses or air beds actually said they slept better than people who bought the traditional innerspring mattresses." The survey also asked people about their shopping experience. Celia Lehrman "You hear the big retailers, and they'll say 'best mattresses, best price.' It sounds like a slogan, you think it's true, but that's really not what our survey found. The biggest stores didn't necessarily have the best selection or the best prices." For example, Sleepy's claims to be the "mattress professionals" but was among the lowest-rated retailers. Macy's and Sears rated better than Sleepy's, but their ratings were still mostly so-so. But some larger stores did very well in Consumer Reports' survey. Select Comfort, which sells adjustable-firmness mattresses, is one. But they're pricey. The median price for a queen is almost two-thousand dollars. But don't worry. Consumer Reports says you can get a decent mattress for much less at Costco and Ikea. While customer service was lacking at both
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!