"I find it very hard to fall asleep." "When I finally do fall asleep. I maybe sleep two or three hours. Then I'm up." "Why can't I sleep? I'm so tired. I know I've got to be up with the kids in the morning." The number one reason we can't sleep is, not surprisingly, work-related stress, followed by health problems and financial difficulties. That according to a Consumer Reports survey of more than 26-thousand of its subscribers. Elissa Schuler-Adair, "Problem sleepers suffered on average 12 years." Consumer Reports also asked people what helps them "sleep tighter." Medications are at the top of the list. Those polled said over-the-counter drugs like Tylenol PM, Advil PM, and Nyquil were helpful - though not the best. "40 percent of respondents said they helped a lot, compared to the newer prescription sleep medications like Ambien and its generic zolpidem. Those scored at 70 percent." But a serious drawback - a significant number of people were overusing prescription drugs - taking them at least 27 of the past 30 nights. Elissa Schuler-Adair, "Most of them are approved for at max 10 days. And there are concerns about using them for longer just because of rebound insomnia, dependency, and side effects like next-day grogginess." Given these drawbacks, alternative therapies like yoga and meditation are worth considering. At least a quarter of those who tried alternative treatments found they helped. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!