"The headphone jack is going to be on the bottom!" In this TV commercial, Samsung makes fun of Apple fans - claiming that Android phones have had better features and capabilities than the iPhone 5 for ages. "This year we're finally getting everything that we didn't get last year." Back in the labs, Consumer Reports puts all the phones through their paces, assessing each one's features and options. First - display. Everyone wants a big screen to watch movies, play games, and use apps. While the iPhone 5's four-inch screen is Apple's biggest yet, it can't compare with the screens on many Android phones. Mike Gikas "Voice-control is another area of competition. Here Android capabilities are quite good, though they're no match for Siri, who can understand and execute more complex commands." Mike Gikas "Find me a theater that's playing a Bruce Willis movie." Siri "OK, I found some theaters not far from Yonkers." Next up -navigation. Mike Gikas "Android has more detailed maps, better traffic info, and more customization. Apple has a few glitches, and until those are worked out, Android carries the day." With everyone using their phone to take pictures, how do the cameras affect your Apple-or-Android choice? While both the iPhone and some Android phones have the ability to take panoramic stills, Consumer Reports finds when it comes to photo and video quality, the iPhone 5 outperforms the Android competition. Dawn Yancy "Let me check some restaurants online." What if you want to talk on the phone and connect to the Internet over the cellular network at the same time? All 4G phones can do that, but not the iPhone 5 on Verizon or Sprint. So while the iPhone 5 gets many things right, so do a lot of the top-rated Android phones - making them worth consideration. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!