"The headphone jack is going to be on the bottom!" In this TV commercial, Samsung makes fun of Apple fans - claiming that Android phones have had better features and capabilities than the iPhone 5 for ages. "This year we're finally getting everything that we didn't get last year." Back in the labs, Consumer Reports puts all the phones through their paces, assessing each one's features and options. First - display. Everyone wants a big screen to watch movies, play games, and use apps. While the iPhone 5's four-inch screen is Apple's biggest yet, it can't compare with the screens on many Android phones. Mike Gikas "Voice-control is another area of competition. Here Android capabilities are quite good, though they're no match for Siri, who can understand and execute more complex commands." Mike Gikas "Find me a theater that's playing a Bruce Willis movie." Siri "OK, I found some theaters not far from Yonkers." Next up -navigation. Mike Gikas "Android has more detailed maps, better traffic info, and more customization. Apple has a few glitches, and until those are worked out, Android carries the day." With everyone using their phone to take pictures, how do the cameras affect your Apple-or-Android choice? While both the iPhone and some Android phones have the ability to take panoramic stills, Consumer Reports finds when it comes to photo and video quality, the iPhone 5 outperforms the Android competition. Dawn Yancy "Let me check some restaurants online." What if you want to talk on the phone and connect to the Internet over the cellular network at the same time? All 4G phones can do that, but not the iPhone 5 on Verizon or Sprint. So while the iPhone 5 gets many things right, so do a lot of the top-rated Android phones - making them worth consideration. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.