Here's a look at What's for Dinner February 14, 2017:
Wild Rice Stuffing by Mayo Clinic Health System
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice (or equal amount of uncooked quinoa)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped apple (including peel)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Rinse wild rice two to three times — until water runs clear.
Place wild rice and water in a 1 1/2 quart sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all water is absorbed, stirring frequently. Do not burn. Cook wild rice for about 30 minutes. (If you're using quinoa, cook it for about 15 minutes.)
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add onion, mushrooms, apple, cranberries and celery. Stir and heat through until tender. Add the salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Continue to stir and cook slowly until fragrant, about 10 minutes total.
Combine the rice, the fruit/vegetable mixture and chicken broth in a large bowl. Use to stuff turkey. Or bake in a dish coated with nonstick spray. Cover and keep warm in oven until serving. Garnish with a sprinkle of toasted almonds.
- Kwik Trip expansion plans include 300 new jobs in La Crosse area
- Felony cases keep public defenders busy while defendants wait in jail
- No major injuries after school bus rollover in Black River Falls
- Tomah VA says progress made since 2014 overdose death
- Area fire departments want you to help 'keep the wreath green'
- Chronic wasting disease found in buck on Winona County farm
- New medication drop-off box now available in La Crosse
- Wisconsin DNR finds invasive carp in Wisconsin River
- 'Miracle Man:' La Crosse man survives heart attack on waterskis
- Last-minute preparations for La Crosse Community Thanksgiving Dinner