White Chicken Lasagna
Makes 6 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: large saucepan, wooden spoon, lightly sprayed 8x8 inch baking dish, ladle, spoon, tin foil Preheat oven to: 350o Do right away when you get home: action step 1
Lasagna noodles (see tips)
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 small onion
1 garlic clove
2 Tbsp. flour
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup milk ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
½ tsp. each: dried basil and oregano
1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
½ cup ricotta cheese
1 box frozen, thawed spinach (tips)
1 cup butternut squash puree (tips)
¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup parmesan cheese
1. Cook noodles according to package directions until soft.
2. Meanwhile, for the cheese sauce: Mince onion and garlic; set aside. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add flour and black pepper to taste. Cook 1-2 minutes. Add broth and milk. Bring to boil; cook and stir 1 minute. Turn off heat and add cheeses. Stir in herbs.
3. Ladle cheese sauce into baking dish to thinly cover bottom. Add a layer of lasagna noodles and more cheese sauce. Then chicken, ricotta and more cheese sauce. Lay another layer of pasta, top with cheese sauce, spinach and another layer of pasta. Top with cheese sauce, squash puree, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Cover with foil.
4. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove foil; cook until bubbly. If cheese doesn't brown, place under broiler for the last couple minutes. Let lasagna rest 15 minutes before serving.
Side items: spring mix salad with balsamic vinaigrette
Tips: This recipe can easily be doubled to make more servings, freezes and reheats well. In the test recipe, we fully cooked the noodles. You will have to tear the noodles to get them to fit into pan well. Don't worry, you won't be able to tell when serving. Fresh spinach can be used instead of frozen; however, frozen spinach is cheaper and produces less moisture while baking. Thaw spinach, in box, in microwave, on defrost setting. Divide into sections; using your hands, squeeze as much water as possible out of spinach before using. If you do not have butternut squash puree on hand, use canned pumpkin puree.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 350 calories, 12g fat, 25g protein, 39g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 550mg sodium
White Chicken Lasagna (continued)
Shopping list: 2 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese ½ cup parmesan cheese ½ cup part skim ricotta cheese 1 box lasagna noodles 1 box frozen spinach
Check for: ¼ cup unsalted butter ¼ cup flour 1 cup milk 1 cup chicken broth Herbs: oregano, basil 1 small onion 1 garlic clove Leftover cooked chicken or turkey Leftover butternut squash
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Young students urge high schoolers to be safe during prom
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting