By Mayo Clinic Staff
This cake is as fun to make as it is to eat. Serve with sliced bananas or vanilla yogurt, or dusted with powdered sugar.
Number of servings
· 3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
· 1 cup sugar
· 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
· 1 tablespoon vanilla
· 2 tablespoons vinegar
· 1/2 cup canola oil
· 2 cups water
Preheat oven to 350 F. Put flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda directly into an ungreased 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Use a whisk to stir them together.
Using a spoon, make 3 separate holes in the dry mixture. Pour the vanilla into one hole. Pour the vinegar into another hole. Pour the oil into the third hole.
Microwave the water on high for 3 minutes or until it's boiling. Pour the boiling water slowly and evenly over the ingredients in the pan. Use the whisk to mix everything together for 2 minutes. No traces of dry ingredients should remain.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cake cook completely. Cut into 20 squares and serve.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size :1 piece
· Total carbohydrate 23 g
· Dietary fiber 2 g
· Sodium 201 mg
· Saturated fat trace
· Total fat 6 g
· Trans fat trace
· Cholesterol 0
· Protein 3 g
· Monounsaturated fat 3 g
· Calories 158
· Sugars 10 g
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- La Crosse Fire Department offering free smoke alarm installation
- Researchers may have found link between stress and weight gain
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 25, 2017
- Area church making capes for kids in pediatric ward
- VITA program helping people file their taxes