Baked Vegetable Ziti
Makes 4 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: medium pot, large non-stick skillet, mixing bowl, cutting board, chef knife, 8x8 square casserole dish Preheat oven to: 400 degrees Do right away when you get home: Action step 1
Action 4 oz. uncooked ziti pasta (about 1.5 cups)
4 medium summer squash
2 medium zucchini
½ medium onion
3 small-medium tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large egg
1/4 cup (2 oz.) part-skim ricotta cheese
½ cup mozzarella cheese
1. Cook pasta according to directions on package, drain and set aside.
2. Chop squash, zucchini and onion. Seed and chop tomato, mince garlic and add to pan. Add olive oil to pan on medium heat. Add veggies and sauté about 5 min. Fresh basil and oregano (see tips) ½ cup mozzarella cheese ½ tsp. salt Dash of black pepper
3. Meanwhile, chop basil (about 2 Tbsp.) and oregano (about 2 tsp.). Remove pan from heat, add pasta, mozzarella, herbs, salt and pepper.
4. In mixing bowl, beat egg and ricotta together. Place in casserole pan coated with cooking spray. Mix with pasta mixture. Sprinkle mozzarella over the top. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
Suggested Side Items: Garden side salad
Tips: If desired, use 2 tsp. of dried basil and ½ tsp. dried oregano in place of fresh versions. If you prefer meat in this dish, chopped, pre-cooked, Italian turkey sausage or other cooked proteins will work well. Feel free to substitute your favorite vegetables, mushrooms or cheeses into the dish.
Shopping list: 1 box ziti pasta 2 medium yellow squashes 1 medium zucchini 1 medium onion 2 medium tomatoes Fresh basil and oregano 2 oz. part skim ricotta cheese 1 Bag shredded mozzarella cheese
Other items needed:
Check for: Olive oil Salt and pepper Garlic 1 Egg
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- M.S. Walk raising money for medical research
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies