Southwestern Stuffed Acorn Squash
Makes 6 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: large baking sheet, colander, large skillet with cover, cutting board/knife, wooden spoon Preheat oven to 375° Do right away when you get home: Action steps 1 & 2
3 acorn squash, (3/4 to 1 lb. each)
1 small onion
1/2 medium red bell pepper
2 cups cherry tomatoes
1 clove garlic
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
5 ounces ground turkey
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt Hot sauce, optional
1. Cut squash in half horizontally. Scoop out and discard seeds. Coat baking sheet with spray. Place squash cut-side down on sheet. Bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, peel onion and chop into small pieces. Rinse red bell pepper and cherry tomatoes and chop into small pieces. Mince garlic clove. Rinse black beans in colander.
3. Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add turkey and cook, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 3 to 5 minutes until lightly browned. Add onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, garlic, beans, chili powder, cumin, salt, and hot sauce. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until tomatoes are broken down.
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
4. Reduce oven temperature to 325° when the squash are tender. Fill squash halves with turkey mixture. Top with cheese. Place on baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until filling is heated through and cheese is melted.
Suggested Side Items: cornbread muffin and glass of milk
Tips: Omit red pepper sauce for a milder taste, or try adding cayenne pepper for an extra kick. Substitute a 15-ounce can of no-salt added diced tomatoes for fresh tomatoes to cut down on preparation time. A balance between green and orange coloring is optimum when selecting acorn squash.
Shopping list: 3 acorn squash, (3/4 – 1 lb. each) 5 oz. ground turkey 1 small onion 1 pint cherry tomatoes 15 oz. can black beans (low-sodium) Shredded Swiss cheese
Nutrition Analysis per serving (1/2 squash): 260 calories, 7g fat, 15g protein, 38g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 482mg
Check for: Garlic
Red pepper sauce
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Local students compete in dairy cook off
- Cub scouts donate bird nest boxes to La Crosse marsh
- La Crosse Police policies to be assessed in accreditation process
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns