Skillet Chili Beef with Corn Biscuits
Total Recipe Time: 35 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds Ground Beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chili-seasoned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexican-style corn, undrained
- 1 package (6-1/2 to 8-1/2 ounces) corn muffin and bread mix
- 1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings. Add tomatoes, corn and 1 tablespoon corn muffin mix; bring to boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile combine remaining corn muffin mix, potato flakes and 1/2 cup milk in medium bowl. Stir until blended, adding enough of remaining milk until batter is just stiff enough to hold its shape. Stir in cheese.
- Drop batter in 12 mounds on top of simmering beef mixture. Cover skillet and continue cooking over medium-low heat 15 to 20 minutes or until biscuits are done (the tops will appear dry). Garnish with cilantro.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
One-Dish Beef Stroganoff
Total Recipe Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1/2 pound sliced button or cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 cups uncooked whole grain wide noodle-style pasta
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup regular or reduced-fat dairy sour cream plus additional for topping
- 1 tablespoon regular or coarse-grain Dijon-style mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, mushrooms, garlic and thyme; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking Ground Beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
- Stir noodles and broth into beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook 9 to 10 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring twice. Stir in peas; continue cooking, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes or until peas are heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 cup sour cream and mustard. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Garnish with additional sour cream, if desired.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving, using 93% lean Ground Beef: 444 calories; 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 86 mg cholesterol; 616 mg sodium; 48 g carbohydrate; 6.6 g fiber; 38 g protein; 14.4 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 5.7 mg iron; 25.0 mcg selenium; 7.8 mg zinc; 101.2 mg choline.This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of choline.Nutrition information per serving, using Top Sirloin Steak: 457 calories; 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 82 mg cholesterol; 322 mg sodium; 48 g carbohydrate; 6.6 g fiber; 39 g protein; 17.8 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 4.5 mg iron; 36.7 mcg selenium; 6.7 mg zinc; 118.3 mg choline.This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviormental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game