Makes 7 (1-cup) servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: 11x7-inch baking dish, cutting board/knife, small bowl, small saucepan, spoon Preheat oven to 425? Do right away when you get home: Action step 1
1 garlic clove
Butter-flavored cooking spray
6 medium red potatoes
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1 cup skim milk
1. Cut garlic clove in half. Rub baking dish with cut sides of garlic halves; discard garlic. Coat dish with spray.
2. Peel potatoes and chop into 1/8-inch thick slices. Melt butter. Arrange half of potato slices in dish. Drizzle with half of the butter. Sprinkle half of salt and pepper over potatoes; top with half of cheese. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients.
3. Bring milk to a boil over low heat in saucepan; pour over potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Suggested Side Items: Garlic-Roasted Pork and steamed green beans
Tips: Gruyere cheese is an unpasteurized, semi-soft cheese with a nutty flavor that originates in Switzerland. Many chefs considered to be the best type of cheese for baked dishes. It adds a rich, slightly salty taste to the dish without an overpowering flavor. Comte, Beaufort, or Swiss cheese may be used in place of Gruyere in this recipe, if desired.
Shopping list: 6 medium red potatoes Shredded Gruyere cheese
Check for: Garlic Butter Black pepper Butter-flavored cooking spray Salt Skim milk
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks