Makes 7 (1-cup) servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: 11x7-inch baking dish, cutting board/knife, small bowl, small saucepan, spoon Preheat oven to 425? Do right away when you get home: Action step 1
1 garlic clove
Butter-flavored cooking spray
6 medium red potatoes
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1 cup skim milk
1. Cut garlic clove in half. Rub baking dish with cut sides of garlic halves; discard garlic. Coat dish with spray.
2. Peel potatoes and chop into 1/8-inch thick slices. Melt butter. Arrange half of potato slices in dish. Drizzle with half of the butter. Sprinkle half of salt and pepper over potatoes; top with half of cheese. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients.
3. Bring milk to a boil over low heat in saucepan; pour over potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Suggested Side Items: Garlic-Roasted Pork and steamed green beans
Tips: Gruyere cheese is an unpasteurized, semi-soft cheese with a nutty flavor that originates in Switzerland. Many chefs considered to be the best type of cheese for baked dishes. It adds a rich, slightly salty taste to the dish without an overpowering flavor. Comte, Beaufort, or Swiss cheese may be used in place of Gruyere in this recipe, if desired.
Shopping list: 6 medium red potatoes Shredded Gruyere cheese
Check for: Garlic Butter Black pepper Butter-flavored cooking spray Salt Skim milk
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.