By Mayo Clinic Staff
A meaty-textured portobello mushroom is the perfect stand-in for a hamburger. One portobello mushroom has about 30 calories and no fat or cholesterol. By comparison, a 3-ounce hamburger patty has 235 calories, 16 grams of fat and 76 milligrams of cholesterol.
Number of servings
· 4 large portobello mushroom caps, 5 inches in diameter (about 12 ounces total)
· 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
· 1/2 cup water
· 1 tablespoon sugar
· 1 garlic clove, minced
· 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 4 whole-wheat buns, toasted
· 4 slices tomato
· 4 slices red onion
· 2 bibb lettuce leaves, halved
Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth and remove their stems. Place in a glass dish, stem (gill) side up.
To prepare the marinade, in a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, water, sugar, garlic, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Drizzle the marinade over the mushrooms. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for about 1 hour, turning mushrooms once.
Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or broiler. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.
Grill or broil the mushrooms on medium heat, turning often, until tender, about 5 minutes on each side. Baste with marinade to keep from drying out. Using tongs, transfer the mushrooms to a plate.
Place each mushroom on a bun and top with 1 tomato slice, 1 onion slice and 1/2 lettuce leaf. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size :1 portobello mushroom burger
· Total carbohydrate 45 g
· Dietary fiber 7 g
· Sodium 163 mg
· Saturated fat 1 g
· Total fat 9 g
· Trans fat 0 g
· Cholesterol 0 mg
· Protein 10 g
· Monounsaturated fat 6 g
· Calories 301
· Sugars 3 g
- Task force catches more criminals exploiting children online
- Belle Square development moves forward
- Crews begin renovations on La Crosse's Powell Park
- La Crosse officials look for input on proposed 'greenway'
- Wisconsin judge drops power line construction ban
- One week after storms, cleanup continues
- New La Crosse Fire Chief approved by Fire Commission
- ‘Go Red for Women' La Crosse luncheon highlights heart disease among women
- La Crosse city departments host ‘City Open House' for residents
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash