Pistachio-Crusted Tuna Steaks
Makes 4 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: cutting board/knife, small saucepan, small bowl, shallow dish, food processor or blender, large skillet Do right away when you get home: Action step 1
1 shallot (or green onion)
1 bay leaf ½ cup white wine (tips)
3 Tbsp. reduced-fat sour cream
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. whole-grain mustard
1 tsp. dill
¼ tsp. salt
¼ cup coarse dry breadcrumbs (tips)
¼ cup shelled pistachios
1 tsp. dill
¼ tsp. salt
4 (4 oz.) tuna steaks, 1-1 ¼ in. thick
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1. Thinly slice shallot (enough for 1 Tbsp.) and place in small saucepan. Add bay leaf and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce until the wine is almost evaporated, about 5 minutes.
2. Remove wine mixture from heat, discard bay leaf and transfer liquid to a small bowl. To make the lemon-dill sauce, add sour cream, lemon juice, mustard dill and salt; stir to combine. Set aside
3. Put breadcrumbs, pistachios, another 1 tsp. dill and ¼ tsp. salt in a blender or food processor. Process until finely ground. Transfer to a shallow dish.
4. Dredge both sides of the tuna in the pistachio mixture.
5. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tuna and cook until browned, adjusting heat as necessary to prevent burning, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Serve with lemon-dill sauce.
Side items: mashed potatoes and sautéed spinach
Tips: Use a dry white wine for this recipe. We recommend Chardonnay, Chablis, or Sauvignon Blanc. We used Ian's brand of coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs, labeled "Panko breadcrumbs." You can find them in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets.
Shopping list: 1 shallot (green onion) Bay leaf 4 oz. container reduced-fat sour cream Whole grain mustard Panko bread crumbs (tips) Pistachios (about 1 cup with shell) 4 (4 oz.) tuna steaks
Check for: Salt and pepper Dill White wine (½ cup) Extra-virgin olive oil Lemon juice
- Holmen man sentenced for 2015 murder
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse
- Herberger's moving into former Macy's location in La Crosse