Pacific Rim Grilled Steak & Noodle Salad
Total Recipe Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Marinade Time: 6 hours to overnight
- 1 beef Flank Steak (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- Toasted sesame seeds and sliced green onions (optional)
Marinade & Dressing:
- 2/3 cup teriyaki marinade and sauce
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces uncooked whole grain, whole wheat or regular spaghetti
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 cup carrot, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped fresh basil and/or mint
- Combine marinade ingredients in glass measuring cup, whisking until just blended. Cover and refrigerate 2/3 cup for dressing. Place beef steak and remaining marinade in plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli, bell pepper and carrot during last 3 minutes of cooking; drain. Place pasta mixture in large serving bowl. Stir in basil. Heat reserved 2/3 cup dressing in microwave on HIGH 30 to 60 seconds or until hot, stirring once. Add to pasta mixture, tossing to combine. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 11 to 16 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 16 to 21 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Carve steak diagonally across the grain into slices; sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions, if desired. Serve steak with noodle salad.
Cook's Tip: One-and-half pounds beef Skirt Steak or Top Sirloin Steak Boneless, cut 1 inch thick, may be substituted for Flank Steak. Grill Skirt Steak 7 to 12 minutes (for gas, grill 8 to 12 min). Marinate Top Sirloin Steak 15 minutes to 2 hours. Grill 11 to 15 minutes (for gas, 13 to 16 minutes). Noodle Salad can be made ahead. Refrigerate until ready to serve. To broil flank steak, place steak on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat. Broil steak 13 to 18 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning once.
Nutrition information per serving, using Flank Steak: 420 calories; 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 66 mg cholesterol; 926 mg sodium; 51 g carbohydrate; 6.9 g fiber; 33 g protein; 14.4 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 3.5 mg iron; 56.2 mcg selenium; 5.7 mg zinc; 98.9 mg choline.This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of choline.
Lime-Marinated Flank Steak with Stuffed Poblano Peppers
Total Recipe Time: 45 to 50 minutes
Marinade Time: 6 hours to overnight
- 1 beef Flank Steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) reduced-sodium or regular black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 medium poblano chili peppers (about 4 inches long)
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice for marinade. Set aside diced tomatoes with green chiles.
- Combine reserved tomato juice, 1/2 cup cilantro, lime juice and olive oil in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate 1/3 cup marinade for rice. Place beef steak and remaining marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Combine rice, reserved 1/3 cup marinade, diced tomatoes, black beans and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Set aside.
- Cut slit lengthwise down 1 side of each poblano pepper to create pocket, leaving stem and tip intact. Make another small crosswise cut just below the stem to form T-shaped opening. Remove and discard seeds and membranes, being careful to keep peppers intact. Spoon rice mixture evenly into peppers. Wrap each tightly in aluminum foil to seal.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak in center grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange peppers around steak. Grill steak, covered, 11 to 16 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill 16 to 21 minutes) for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Grill peppers, covered, 25 to 30 minutes (20 to 25 minutes on gas grill) or until peppers are tender and filling is heated through, turning occasionally.
- Carve steak across grain into thin slices. Remove peppers from foil. Serve peppers with steaks and toppings as desired.
Cook's Tip: Two cups leftover cooked rice or 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve whole grain brown rice can be substituted.
Nutrition information per serving: 345 calories; 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 42 mg cholesterol; 322 mg sodium; 33 g carbohydrate; 7.6 g fiber; 30 g protein; 8.9 mg niacin; 1.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 4.7 mg iron; 34.0 mcg selenium; 5.0 mg zinc; 96.8 mg choline.This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of choline.
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Turnout hits 8 percent in Wisconsin superintendent race
- Powerball jackpot tops $400 million for 1st time in months
- Businesses gather for discussion on possible new tax
- Students learn robotics at Trane in La Crosse
- The guitar that will build a La Crosse home
- Representative Kind hears from local voters in La Crosse
- Iowa House panel OKs medical marijuana oil bill
- Minnesota man gets 2 year sentence for lying in terror case
- Email shows Holtz was counting on 'reform group' to help