Mustard-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Sweet and Savory Brussels Sprouts
Makes 4 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: paring knife, medium pot, steamer basket, 12-inch skillet, small sauté pan, wooden spoon, flipper/spatula, platter Do right away when you get home: gather ingredients and utensils
10 oz. brussels sprouts, washed
1 ¼ lb. pork tenderloin ½ tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. olive oil
¼ cup white wine ¼ cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp. olive oil
½ cup diced bacon (about 4 slices)
1 small yellow onion
¼ cup dried cherries
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage leaves
1. Using paring knife, quarter brussles sprouts. In a medium pot with a steamer basket, steam brussels sprouts for 8 minutes.
2. Butterfly-cut the pork tenderloin (see tips). Sprinkle with salt and pepper; spread with mustard. In a 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high; add pork and cook 7 minutes. Turn and cook 6 minutes more; remove from pan and slice.
3. Add wine and chicken broth to pan and stir, scraping up brown bits; set aside and keep warm.
4. Warm oil in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until brown, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Thinly slice the onion. Reduce heat to medium and add onion; cook until translucent, 5 minutes. Add cherries, sage, and brussels sprouts; cook 3 minutes more. Season with salt and black pepper.
5. Arrange pork and vegetables on a platter; drizzle with sauce. Serve immediately.
Side items: glass of milk
Tips: To butterfly-cut meat, cut in half horizontally leaving it connected along one side (to look like a butterfly in the pan). This technique reduces cooking time. You can use dried sage instead of fresh. The conversion is: 1 Tbsp. fresh = 1 tsp. dry. You can use this conversion for any herb. Freeze leftover broth and wine in ice cube trays. When frozen, remove from tray and put in zip-lock bags, labeled with contents and date. Each ice cube is 2 oz. or 2 Tbsp. Great for recipes that call for small amounts of broth or wine!
Shopping list: Brussels sprouts ( ¾ lb.) 1 ¼ lb. pork tenderloin Bacon (about 4 slices) 1 small yellow onion Dried cherries Sage (fresh or dried)
Check for: Ground black pepper Dijon mustard White wine Chicken broth Olive oil
Other items needed:
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Pocan no longer attending inauguration