Makes 6 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: grater, small bowl, cutting board/knife, 5-quart slow cooker, large skillet, spatula, plates (6), tongs, ladle Set slow cooker to LOW heat Do right away when you get home: Action steps 1 & 2
1 small lemon
1 3/4 cup kalamata olives
2 Tbsp. capers
1 (14.5 oz) can whole tomatoes
1 small onion
12 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 lbs)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1. Grate rind and squeeze juice from lemon. Place rind in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate. Remove olive pits; cut olives in half. Drain capers. Coarsely chop onion. Drain and chop tomatoes. Combine juice, olives, capers, onion, and tomatoes in slow cooker.
2. Remove skin from chicken; sprinkle chicken with pepper. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Place half of chicken in pan. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Place chicken in slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is done.
3. Place cooked chicken thighs on plates. Stir reserved lemon rind into sauce remaining in slow cooker. Serve sauce over chicken. Optional: Chop rosemary and parsley; sprinkle over chicken.
Suggested Side Items: Rosemary mashed potatoes and mixed greens
Tips: Used canned diced tomatoes instead of whole tomatoes to save on preparation time. Choose no-added-salt tomatoes to reduce the sodium content of this recipe.
Shopping list: 1 small lemon Capers 12 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 lbs.) Fresh parsley, optional Kalamata olives 1 (14.5 oz.) can whole plum tomatoes Fresh rosemary, optional
Check for: Black pepper
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death