Loaded Potato Soup
Makes 4 (1 ¼-cup) servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: fork, paper towels, knife/cutting board, medium saucepan, microwave-safe plate, spoon, ladle Do right away when you get home: Action steps 1 & 2
4 medium red potatoes
1/2 cup onion
2 tsp. olive oil
1 1/4 low-sodium chicken broth
3 Tbsp. flour
2 cups low-fat milk
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 bacon slices
4 tsp. green onions
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Clean potatoes and pierce with a fork. Place on paper towels and microwave on high for 13 minutes or until tender. Cut in half; cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, chop onion. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté for 3 minutes. Add broth, flour, and milk. Bring to a boil; stir often. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
3. Arrange bacon on a paper towel on a plate. Cover with paper towels and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Crumble bacon; set aside. Slice green onions into thin pieces.
4. Remove skins from potatoes. Mash potatoes with a fork and add to soup. Top soup with cheese, green onion, and bacon.
Suggested Side Items: Turkey Avocado Oven Sandwich (February 23rd recipe)
Tips: Plain Greek yogurt can be substituted for the sour cream. This recipe can easily be doubled. Shopping list: Red potatoes (4 medium) Reduced-fat sour cream Green onions Low-sodium chicken broth Bacon Shredded cheddar cheese
Check for: Onion Flour Black pepper Olive oil Salt Low-fat milk
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Minnesota Gov. Dayton collapses during speech
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- WinCraft gets to work making Super Bowl merchandise
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser