Beef Tenderloin with Easy Cranberry Balsamic Sauce
Total Recipe Time: 1 to 1-1/4 hours
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1 whole beef Tenderloin Roast (about 4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 425°F. Combine thyme and pepper; reserve 1 teaspoon seasoning mixture for sauce. Press remaining seasoning mixture evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place Roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F oven 45 to 55 minutes for medium rare; 55 to 65 minutes for medium doneness.
- Remove Roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 145°F for medium. Transfer Roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10° to 15°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Meanwhile prepare sauce. Combine vinegar and shallots in small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes. Stir in cranberry sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 6 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in reserved seasoning and salt.
- Carve Roast into slices; serve with sauce.
Beef Bruschetta with Crab Fennel Slaw
Cut: Tenderloin Roast
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- 2 to 3 pound beef tenderloin roast
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/4 cups fresh lump crabmeat (or 6 oz. canned crabmeat, drained, picked-over)
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1/4 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 1 baguette about (12 inches long)
- Fennel stems (optional)
- Heat oven to 425F. Season beef roast with coarse grind pepper.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425F oven 25 to 30 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness.
- Meanwhile whisk oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and ground pepper in small bowl until blended. Combine crabmeat, fennel, red cabbage and green onion in large bowl. Add 1/4 cup vinaigrette (reserve remaining vinaigrette); toss to coat slaw evenly. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove roast when instant read thermometer inserted into center of thickest part of beef registers 145F for medium rare or 160F for medium doneness. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 5 minutes. Carve roast into thin slices. Set aside. Decrease oven temperature to 350F.
- Cut bread diagonally into twenty-four 1/4-inch thick slices. Brush bread slices with remaining vinaigrette. Place in single layers on two 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly-roll pans. Bake in 350F oven 10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Top each toasted bread slices evenly with beef and 1 tablespoon crab slaw. Garnish with fennel stems, if desired. Makes 24 appetizers.
Beef Tenderloin Sandwiches w/Nutty Herb-Cheese Spread & Caramelized Onion Relish
Cut: Tenderloin Roast
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 1 center-cut beef tenderloin roast (2 to 3 pounds), not tied
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomato spread
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Assorted breads and rolls
- Nutty Herb-Cheese Spread
- 1/2 cup salted shelled pistachios or slivered blanched almonds
- 1 container (6-1/2 ounces) garlic & herb cheese spread
- Caramelized Onion Relish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups (about 3 medium) thinly sliced onions (1/8-inch thick)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Make horizontal cut through center of beef roast, parallel to surface of meat. Cut to, but not through, opposite side. Open meat so it lies flat.
- Combine sun-dried tomato spread and parsley. Spread lengthwise on 1/2 of meat. Fold other 1/2 of meat over to form original shape of roast. Tie at 1-1/2 to 2-inch intervals with kitchen twine; trim off excess twine.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in sun-dried tomato filling. Roast in 425 degree oven 35 to 40 minutes for medium rare.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135 degrees. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10 degrees to reach 145 for medium rare.) Refrigerate roast for several hours or until chilled. If desired, roast can be wrapped tightly in aluminum foil and refrigerated up to 2 days. Carve roast into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- To make Nutty Herb-Cheese Spread: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in single layer in baking pan. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes for pistachios or 8 minutes for almonds or until lightly toasted; cool slightly. Coarsely chop. Combine cheese spread and nuts. Stir in enough half-and-half to thin to spreading consistency. Makes 1 cup.
- To make Caramelized Onion Relish: Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper; cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in brown sugar and vinegar; cook and stir until liquid has evaporated. Makes 3/4 cup.
- Assemble sandwiches as desired with breads, spread and relish. Makes 30 to 35 appetizer servings.
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Pocan no longer attending inauguration