Healthy Fettuccine Alfredo
Makes 4 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: 2 medium saucepans, whisk, cutting board, chef knife Do right away when you get home: Action step 1
8 oz. uncooked whole wheat fettuccine noodles
1 Tbsp. butter
2 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
1 ¼ cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 Tbsp. 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. fresh parsley
1. Prepare pasta according to package, drain and set aside.
2. Melt butter in another saucepan over medium heat. Mince garlic and add to pan. Sauté about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk, stirring with whisk. Cook 6 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
3. Add 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, cream cheese, and salt, stirring with a whisk until cheeses melt. Toss sauce with hot pasta. Sprinkle with remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
4. Finely chop parsley, and sprinkle over top.
Suggested Side Items: steamed broccoli and sliced chicken
Tips: Try this sauce on pizza! Shopping list: 8 oz. Whole wheat fettuccine noodles 5 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese 1 container 1/3 less fat cream cheese
Check for: Butter Garlic All-purpose flour 1% milk Salt Parsley
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather