by Mayo Clinic Staff
This recipe uses the grill or broiler to both cook the chicken and make a smoky-flavored tomato sauce. The yellow tomato sauce also makes this dish unique.
Number of servings
· 4 yellow tomatoes, halved crosswise and seeded
· 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
· 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, each about 5 ounces
· 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
· 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill or broiler. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.
Arrange the tomatoes skin side down on the grill rack or skin side up on a broiler pan lined with aluminum foil. Grill or broil until the skins begin to blacken, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let steam until the skins loosen, about 10 minutes.
In a small frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until softened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Core and peel the tomatoes. In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatoes, the garlic with the oil, and the vinegar. Pulse until well blended. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the basil and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper.
Sprinkle the chicken breasts with 1/4 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. In a shallow dish, stir together the parsley, thyme and the remaining 2 tablespoons basil. Dredge the chicken in the herb mixture, coating completely. Grill or broil the chicken, turning once, until browned on both sides and no longer pink on the inside, about 4 minutes on each side.
Transfer the chicken breasts to warmed individual plates. Spoon the tomato sauce on top, dividing evenly. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size :1 piece
· Total carbohydrate 8 g
· Dietary fiber 2 g
· Sodium 287 mg
· Saturated fat 1 g
· Total fat 7 g
· Cholesterol 82 mg
· Protein 35 g
· Monounsaturated fat 4 g
· Calories 235
- Holmen man sentenced for 2015 murder
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse
- Herberger's moving into former Macy's location in La Crosse