By Mayo Clinic Staff
Gingery chicken noodle soup
To make this vegetarian, substitute cubes of extra-firm tofu for the chicken and use vegetable stock.
Number of servings
- 3 ounces dried soba noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup plain soy milk (soya milk)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)
Bring a saucepan 3/4 full of water to a boil, add the noodles and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside until needed.
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the ginger and carrot and saute for 1 minute. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds; don't let the garlic brown. Add the stock and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and edamame and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the edamame are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the soba noodles and soy milk and cook until heated through; don't let boil.
Remove pan from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Ladle soup into warmed individual bowls and serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
- Total carbohydrate
- Dietary fiber
- Saturated fat
- Total fat
- Monounsaturated fat
- Task force catches more criminals exploiting children online
- Belle Square development moves forward
- Crews begin renovations on La Crosse's Powell Park
- La Crosse officials look for input on proposed 'greenway'
- Wisconsin judge drops power line construction ban
- One week after storms, cleanup continues
- New La Crosse Fire Chief approved by Fire Commission
- ‘Go Red for Women' La Crosse luncheon highlights heart disease among women
- La Crosse city departments host ‘City Open House' for residents
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash