Festive Fruit and Nut Rice
Getting started Equipment you will need: medium saucepan, cutting board/knife, spoon, large skillet Do right away when you get home: Action steps 1 & 2
1 cup long grain white or brown rice
3/4 cup onion
1 medium tomato
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup dried apricots
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Salt to taste
1. Cook rice according to package directions (omitting oil and salt). Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, chop onion and tomato. Chop garlic into fine pieces. Slice apricots into thin strips.
3. Toast nuts in a large skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan frequently until nuts are golden brown. Add oil, onion, and garlic and cook about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato and cook until most of the liquid evaporates.
4. Add cooked rice, apricots, and remaining ingredients to skillet. Stir over low heat until combined. Serve warm.
Suggested Side Items: Easy Chicken Marsala (November 29th, 2011 recipe) and green beans
Tips: Using brown rice will increase the fiber content of the recipe. Pine nuts come from seeds nestled deep in the leaves of the pine cone. They add a unique flavor to foods. Look for them among the other types of nuts in the baking aisle.
Shopping list: Long grain white or brown rice Pine nuts Onion Dried apricots Raisins Tomato (medium)
Check for: Garlic (1 clove) Black pepper Olive oil Salt
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.