Calypso Beef Soup
Total Recipe Time: 45 to 50 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds Ground Beef (95% lean)
- 1 cup diced peeled sweet potato
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water or ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (13-1/2 ounces) light unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon. Pour off drippings in pan; add sweet potato, onion, bell pepper and curry powder. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until onion and pepper are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in water, black-eyed peas and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 to 8 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Stir in spinach and thyme. Cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired.
Cook's Tip: Regular fresh spinach, stems removed and coarsely chopped, may be substituted for baby spinach leaves. Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 308 calories; 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 76 mg cholesterol; 327 mg sodium; 22 g carbohydrate; 4.1 g fiber; 3 g protein; 7.0 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 4.7 mg iron; 21.2 mcg selenium; 6.7 mg zinc.This recipe is an excellent source of niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.24072252
Garlic-Ginger Beef & Noodle Soup
Total Recipe Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Marinade Time: 30 minutes to 2 hours
Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound beef Top Sirloin Steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh ginger, divided1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth 4 ounces uncooked thin spaghetti or rice noodles, broken into thirds
- 1 package (12 to 16 ounces) frozen stir-fry vegetable blend
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce (optional)
- Cut beef Steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick strips. Combine 1 tablespoon garlic, 2 teaspoons ginger, sesame oil and beef in medium bowl; toss to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerate 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Combine broth, remaining 1 tablespoon garlic and remaining 1 teaspoon ginger in stockpot; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta and vegetables; bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook, uncovered, 4 to 6 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of beef; stir-fry 1 to 3 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining beef. Keep warm.
- Remove soup from heat; stir in beef and soy sauce, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 357 calories; 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 0 mg cholesterol; 511 mg sodium; 29 g carbohydrate; 1.9 g fiber; 33 g protein; 9.0 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.0 mg iron; 30.5 mcg selenium; 5.2 mg zinc; 99.4 mg choline.This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron and choline.
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- Baby peregrine falcons banded in downtown La Crosse
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Monroe Co. man avoids prison for shooting mother
- Rail tank car helps first responders prepare in case of derailment
- Locomotive engine oil spill in Jackson county
- News 8 Sports Round Up - May 25, 2017
- Program gives books to La Crosse students for summer reading
- Tomah VA, Fort McCoy team up for Memorial Day 5K
- Iowa man accused of stealing from ailing dad gets probation