Buffalo Chicken Casserole
Makes 8 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: large pot, spoon, large skillet, cutting board/knife, spatula, whisk, medium bowl, 9x13-inch baking dish Preheat oven to 400? Do right away when you get home: Action steps 1 & 2
12 ounces whole wheat elbow noodles
3 stalks celery
1 large onion
1 Tbsp. garlic
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1/3 cup cornstarch
4 cups low-fat milk
1/8 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. hot sauce
3 medium carrots
3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1. Bring pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles until barely tender, about 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, slice carrots and celery, chop onion, and mince garlic. Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink on the outside, about 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Whisk cornstarch and milk in a medium bowl; add to skillet. Add salt to skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often, until bubbling and thick, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in hot sauce.
4. Spread noodles in baking dish. Top with chicken mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes, until bubbling. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Suggested Side Items: Steamed broccoli
Tips: Leftover cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken can be used in this recipe. Frank's RedHot Sauce works well in this recipe. Texas Pete and Crystal hot sauces are tasty alternatives if you can't find Frank's.
Shopping list: 1 box whole wheat elbow noodles 3 stalks celery 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast 3 medium carrots 1 large onion Hot sauce Blue cheese
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death