Brown Rice Mélange Stuffing
Makes 10 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: medium saucepan, cutting board/knife,l arge skillet Do right away when you get home: Action Step 1
1 cup brown rice
½ cup wild rice
1 small rutabaga
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
2 turkey sausage links
2 stalks celery
½ medium onion
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. Poultry seasoning
1 tsp. sage
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Place brown rice, wild rice and chicken stock in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down, cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed (about 45-55 minutes).
2. Peel rutabaga and chop into small pieces. Place in pot of water and boil until rutabaga is tender. Drain, add 1 cup corn and set aside.
3. Remove casing from turkey sausage. Break up sausage and place in large skillet. Dice celery and onion into small pieces. Add to turkey sausage and sauté with oil. Cook until sausage is cooked through.
4. Add seasonings, rice mixture and rutabaga and corn mixture to the skillet. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve while hot.
Serve with: baked chicken or fish
Tips: Omit turkey sausage and use vegetable broth for a vegetarian side dish.
Shopping list: Wild rice Turkey Sausage Rutabaga (1 small) Celery
Check for: Brown rice Chicken broth Frozen corn Olive oil Onion Poultry seasoning Sage
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather