By Mayo Clinic Staff
Instead of egg noodles, serve this beef stroganoff over rice pilaf — a Middle Eastern dish with sauteed rice or other grains, seasonings and various vegetables.
Number of servings
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 pound boneless beef round steak, cut 3/4-inch thick, all fat removed
4 cups uncooked yolkless egg noodles
1/2 can fat-free cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
1/2 cup of water
1 tablespoon all-purpose (plain) flour
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
In a nonstick frying pan, saute the onions over medium heat until they're translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the beef and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until the beef is tender and browned throughout. Drain well and set aside.
Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente (tender), 10 to 12 minutes, or according to the package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly.
In a saucepan, whisk together the soup, water and flour over medium heat. Stir until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
Add the soup mixture and paprika to the beef in the frying pan. Over medium heat, stir the mixture until warmed through. Remove from heat and add the sour cream. Stir until combined.
To serve, divide the pasta among the plates. Top with the beef mixture and serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
- Total fat
- Total carbohydrate
- Dietary fiber
- Monounsaturated fat
- Saturated fat
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Monday closings due to weather
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Local bar burglarized
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser