Recipe: Balsamic roast chicken
Dietitian's tip: Balsamic vinegar has a dark color and rich flavor. Combined with a hint of brown sugar, this vinegar makes a sauce that's much healthier than traditional high-fat gravy.
o 1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds
o 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
o 1 garlic clove
o 1 tablespoon olive oil
o 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
o 8 sprigs fresh rosemary
o 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
o 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Rinse the chicken inside and out with cold running water. Pat it dry with paper towels.
In a small bowl, mince together the rosemary and garlic. Loosen the chicken skin from the flesh, and rub the flesh with olive oil and then the herb mixture. Sprinkle with black pepper. Put 2 rosemary sprigs into the cavity of the chicken. Truss the chicken.
Place the chicken into a roasting pan and roast for 20 to 25 minutes per pound, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Whole chicken should cook to a minimum internal temperature of 165 F. Baste frequently with pan juices. When browned and juices run clear, transfer the chicken to a serving platter.
In a small saucepan, combine the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Heat until warmed and brown sugar dissolves, but don't boil.
Carve the chicken and remove the skin. Top the pieces with the vinegar mixture. Garnish with the remaining rosemary sprigs and serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
|Serving size: 1/8 chicken|
|Total fat||16 g||Total carbohydrate||4 g|
|Saturated fat||5 g||Dietary fiber||0 g|
|Trans fat||0 g||Sugars||trace|
|Monounsaturated fat||8 g||Protein||51 g|
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017