Makes 2 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: whisk/fork, small bowl, spoon, two 6 oz. custard cups, 8x8-inch pan, knife Preheat oven to 350° Do right away when you get home: Action steps 1 & 2
1 cup milk
3 Tbsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1. Lightly beat egg with a whisk or fork in a small bowl.
2. Scald milk by microwaving for about 2 minutes. Add sugar, vanilla and salt (if desired) to milk. Temper eggs by adding a small amount of the warm milk mixture to the eggs first. Then add the rest of the milk mixture to the egg and stir until combined. 3. Pour mixture into two custard cups. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg.
4. Put about 1 inch of boiling water in an 8"x8" square pan. Place custard cups in pan of water. Bake at 350° for approximately 35 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Tips: Scalding the milk considerably decreases the baking time of the custard. It can also be done in a saucepan by bringing the milk almost to a boil. Tempering the eggs prevents them from being scrambled by the heat of the milk by gently heat egg yolks before adding to a hot mixture.
Check for: Eggs Milk Sugar Vanilla extract Ground nutmeg
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016