Makes 2 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: whisk/fork, small bowl, spoon, two 6 oz. custard cups, 8x8-inch pan, knife Preheat oven to 350° Do right away when you get home: Action steps 1 & 2
1 cup milk
3 Tbsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1. Lightly beat egg with a whisk or fork in a small bowl.
2. Scald milk by microwaving for about 2 minutes. Add sugar, vanilla and salt (if desired) to milk. Temper eggs by adding a small amount of the warm milk mixture to the eggs first. Then add the rest of the milk mixture to the egg and stir until combined. 3. Pour mixture into two custard cups. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg.
4. Put about 1 inch of boiling water in an 8"x8" square pan. Place custard cups in pan of water. Bake at 350° for approximately 35 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Tips: Scalding the milk considerably decreases the baking time of the custard. It can also be done in a saucepan by bringing the milk almost to a boil. Tempering the eggs prevents them from being scrambled by the heat of the milk by gently heat egg yolks before adding to a hot mixture.
Check for: Eggs Milk Sugar Vanilla extract Ground nutmeg
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers