Autumn Harvest Braised Brisket
Total Recipe Time: 3-3/4 to 4 hours
- 1 beef Brisket Flat Half Boneless (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup cran-apple, cranberry or apple juice, divided
- 3 to 4 medium red apples (such as Jonathan, Red Delicious, Jazz or Fuji), cored, cut into16 wedges each (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine cumin and cinnamon; rub over beef Brisket. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown Brisket; season beef with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add 3/4 cup juice and garlic to stockpot; bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-3/4 hours. Add apples and cranberries to stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until Brisket and apples are fork-tender, stirring and rearranging apples once during cooking.
- Remove Brisket; keep warm. Combine remaining 1/4 cup juice and cornstarch; stir cornstarch mixture into apple mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture has thickened, stirring frequently.
- Trim fat from Brisket. Carve diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve beef with apple mixture.
Nutrition information per serving, 1/6 of recipe, 3 oz of beef per serving: 347 calories; 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 83 mg cholesterol; 52 mg sodium; 35 g carbohydrate; 4.5 g fiber; 29 g protein; 7.3 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 2.1 mcg vitamin B12; 3.5 mg iron; 29.4 mcg selenium; 6.9 mg zinc; 108.5 mg choline.This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline; and a good source of fiber and vitamin B622251372
Autumn Beef and Cider Stew
Total Recipe Time: 2 to 2-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1 to 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- Cook bacon in stockpot over medium heat until crisp; remove with slotted spoon to paper-towel-lined plate. Brown 1/2 of beef in bacon drippings over medium heat; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining beef; season with salt and pepper.
- Return beef and bacon to stockpot. Add soup and cider; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 hours.
- Add sweet potatoes and cranberries to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, covered, 20 to 30 minutes or until beef and potatoes are fork-tender.
Nutrition information per serving (1/4 of recipe): 432 calories; 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 98 mg cholesterol; 1384 mg sodium; 43 g carbohydrate; 4.6 g fiber; 36 g protein; 5.2 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 2.9 mcg vitamin B12; 4 mg iron; 25.3 mcg selenium; 7.7 mg zinc.This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death