Asian Chicken Burgers
Makes 4 servings
Getting started Equipment needed: prepared baking sheet, vegetable grater, large, medium and small bowls, whisk Preheat oven to: 375 degrees Do right away when you get home: action step 1
1 small carrot
1 small red onion
1 Tbsp. ginger
1 pound ground chicken
¼ cup panko (breadcrumbs)
2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
3 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. hot Asian chili sauce (see tips)
8 oz. white mushrooms
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 lime (for juice)
1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
2 tsp. hot Asian chili sauce
1. Grate carrot, ½ the onion (set other half aside) and ginger into a large bowl. Add the chicken, panko, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and sambal oelek and mix until combined. Shape mixture into 4 patties and place on prepared baking sheet.
2. Bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, thinly slice the remaining ½ onion and the mushrooms and place in medium bowl. Toss with sesame oil, lime juice and the remaining soy sauce.
4. Mix additional hoisin sauce and sambal oelek with 1 Tbsp. water in small bowl. 4 whole-wheat sesame hamburger buns
5. Warm the hamburger buns in the oven. Serve the burgers on the buns with a drizzle of the hoisin-sambal sauce and some of the mushroom mixture.
Suggested Side Items: apple slices
Tips: Hot Asian chili sauce, like sambal oelek, doesn't provide a lot of heat in this recipe but a little bit goes a long way. Feel free to omit for a blander palate. NOTE: This recipe is a bit higher in sodium than we would generally recommend. Therefore, lower sodium hoisin sauce, breadcrumbs, chili sauce, etc. can be used if comparable alternatives can be found. If lower sodium alternatives cannot be found, remember that no one meal will compromise our health and can still fit into a healthy lifestyle. You may want to balance the sodium content of your other meals throughout the day/week.
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests