BLACK EARTH, Wis. (AP) - A Wisconsin company is recalling about 99 pounds of beef tongue.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture says Black Earth Meat Market is recalling the products because they may not have had the tonsils completely removed.
The recall involves various size cases of Black Earth Meats Natural Beef Tongues and Black Earth Meats Local Beef Tongues produced by the Black Earth-based company on October 8, 11, 17 and 18.
The products were distributed to a restaurant in Wisconsin and a distributor in Illinois.
The USDA says the problem was discovered during a routine food safety assessment. Cattle tonsils have to be removed from food to avoid exposing people to mad cow disease. The USDA says there is no indication that any of the cattle slaughtered showed any signs of the disease.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest