LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Drug addiction is still on the rise in our area as well.
According to health officials in La Crosse County, local hospitals are continuing to treat an increasing number of drug overdoses. Officials believe the increase in addiction rates is primarily related to how easy it can be to obtain illicit drugs.
Local health officials hope the report from the U.S. Surgeon General results in more people being treated for their addiction.
"The fact is this national survey on drug use and health states that one out of ten individuals are using an illicit substance or have a substance abuse disorder, and so that's a substantial amount of individuals that need treatment and need services and recovery," said la Crosse County Health Department Health Educator Al Bliss.
Health officials also hope the report will engage community members and leaders in a discussion about improving outreach and treatment.
- Wisconsin state schools superintendent field to be narrowed
- Report: State trooper faces child porn charges
- 3 children, semi driver injured in crash
- Green Bay's mayor survives removal petition
- Looking ahead: Spring road construction
- Groomer accused of kicking dog gets 2 years of probation
- Winter thaw reveals needles in streets
- News 8 Investigates - Watching the Watchers
- Truck driver fatally crushed by pipe near Minneapolis
- Driver identified in bizarre car crash Sunday