LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - WKBT News 8 earned a 2015 National Edward R. Murrow Award for our hour-long "Tears to Water" special.
The Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA) announced Wednesday WKBT won the award in the News Documentary category in small market television.
In June 2014, News 8 Anchor Mike Thompson and Photojournalist Travis Kobs traveled to Busolo, Uganda to highlight the need for clean water and the impact of Jesse Parker's legacy and what his family and community have created. Jesse was killed in a car crash when he was on his way home from a family vacation in July 2009. He was 17-years-old. Jesse had dreams of service to social causes and wanted to bring clean water to people in Africa.
News 8's hour-long special originally aired on WKBT on Monday, August 11. You can watch it in the video player above.
News 8 This Morning Anchor Jennifer Livingston was the executive producer for the special and contributed several reports. Thompson not only anchored the entire special from Africa but also produced and reported as well. Rounding out the team was the News 8 Production Department of Steve Londre and Kirk Arneson.
"We poured our heart and souls into this project and were deeply affected by the content which we were covering," Thompson said. "We can't thank Brad and Jenny Parker enough for allowing us to share their boy with the rest of the world. This is the strongest family I've ever met, turning tragedy into hope for so many people."
WKBT will be honored at a banquet in New York City in October.
For the full list of 2015 National Edward R. Murrow Award Winners, visit rtdna.org.
- Poll shows lack of support of higher taxes for roads
- Poll shows most Wisconsinites oppose repealing health law
- Democrat Vinehout registers to run for governor
- Trump's approval rating worsens in Wisconsin
- Man who died during armed robbery identified
- Gov. Walker announces campaign to promote veteran-owned businesses
- Witnesses heard engine backfire before Wisconsin plane crash
- Shop owners, police stress firework safety and legality
- Walker approval rating at highest level since October 2014
- Fireworks Recalled due to burn and injury hazards