MADISON, Wis. - A documentary about the stabbing of a Waukesha girl in an effort to please a fictional character called Slenderman is due out next year.
HBO released a trailer for the documentary called "Beware the Slenderman" on Thursday and said the film will premiere Jan. 23.
Two teenage girls are accused of luring Payton Leutner, 13 at the time, into a wooded area in Waukesha in May 2014 and stabbing her 19 times. Payton survived the attack, and the two girls accused in the case were charged as adults with attempted first-degree intentional homicide in the attack.
The girls claimed they attacked Payton as a sacrifice to the horror character called Slenderman.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death