LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The La Crosse Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps will host its first 5K Run/Walk on Sunday, June 15.
The money from the 5K will support the event and the Blue Stars.
"We thought this would be a fun way for the community to gain more awareness of the drum corps," said Running with the Stars Race Director Niki Furlano.
All of the volunteers along the route will be current marching members of the Blue Stars.
"This event standouts from others because along the route, in multiple locations, we plan to have members of the Corps—horns, drums and guard—playing their instruments and cheering people on," Furlano said.
Members of the Blue Stars will also be running the 5K. The event will begin at 9 a.m. at Myrick Park near the EcoPark building in La Crosse and ends near the building. Registration is open online and people can also register on the day of the event from 8 to 9 a.m.
After the 5K, the Blue Stars will give a standstill performance of their 2014 show, "Where the Heart Is."
"Even if people don't want to participate in the 5K event, we encourage everyone to come down to Myrick Park and enjoy the performance," Furlano said.
The Blue Stars will host DCI La Crosse, an event featuring World, Open and All-Age corps on Saturday, July 12 at Veterans Memorial Field Sports Complex at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. WKBT News 8 is a media sponsor of the Blue Stars' DCI La Crosse event.
- Evers, Holtz win primary for state school superintendent
- Statewide personal care worker shortage creates uncertain future
- Wisconsin state schools superintendent field to be narrowed
- Local golfers take advantage of recent warm weather
- UW-La Crosse officials discuss possibility of tobacco-free campus
- February Primaries bring voters out in La Crosse
- Report: State trooper faces child porn charges
- Adaptive Sports League wraps up winter season with floor hockey tourney
- State lawmakers fear backlash from giving themselves a raise
- Resolution would shift light rail funds to roads, bridges